Is your child ready for overnight camp this summer?
Overnight camp is a life-changing experience where children make friends, develop healthy independence and self-expression, and learn skills during an adventurous, fun-filled week or longer. But how does a parent know the right time for their child to sign up?
Choose a camp with a tradition of excellence, like YMCA CAMP THUNDERBIRD.For almost a century, YMCA Camp Thunderbird's impeccably-trained, nurturing staff has welcomed young campers to discover their best selves and experience unforgettable adventure. Set on two miles of pristine Lake Wylie shoreline, sailing and watersport activities encourage campers to reach higher and try
Consider three important questions.
We asked Andy Belich, Thunderbird Resident Camp Director, how a parent decides whether a child is ready for overnight camp. He shared these questions to consider:
- 1.Has your child completed first grade?
- 2.Is your child comfortable spending the night with friends or family?
- 3.Will your child ask adults or older teens for help? For instance, do teachers report they ask for help or directions when they need it?
- 4.Is your child genuinely interested in camp?
- 5.Are you ready to send your child to summer camp?
While it's normal for parents and kids to be a little apprehensive attending camp for the first time, a desire to attend is pivotal to a successful session. Because intuitive campers are influenced when parents are concerned, it's best when the whole family is confident and optimistic about the experience.
Try Camp Thunderbird on for size.
To gain confidence, it's helpful to see and experience camp before a full session. Camp Thunderbird provides lots of ways to explore.
- 1.Try Camp, a weekend experience in March 27 - 29 allows first-time campers to sleep in cabins, eat in the dining hall, try some adventure activities, and get a feel for summer camp in an abbreviated timeframe.
- 2.Bring the whole family to a tour on March 29. See the amenities and ask questions of the on-site staff. Not available for a scheduled tour? Camp directors are happy to schedule a private visit to fit your calendar…just drop us an email.
- 3.Don't think this is the year? Camp Thunderbird's day camp experience provides multiple opportunities over the summer for one-night sleepovers. These can be the perfect trial experience for the too-young or apprehensive camper or parent.
For 85 years, YMCA Camp Thunderbird has served kids 6 – 16 just 17 miles from Charlotte on the sunny shores of Lake Wylie. This ultimate water playground serves as a backdrop for lifelong friendships and memories. Your son or daughter will catch the wave of possibilities, have unforgettable adventures, and discover their best self.
Early Bird Registration for Camp Thunderbird is open now. Save when you register by January 31, 2020. Take advantage of our free payment plan too!